Blog

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Diary of a Wimpy Foodie: Fear of the Thanksgiving Turkey

November 16th, 11 days til turkey time

Traditional?  Southern-style with cornbread? Jazzed up with chorizo?  Boxed?  Homemade?  And to think this is only the stuffing!

Feeling a little anxiety right now; ok, ok get a handle on yourself!  It's just stuffing.  Ha!  Probably as important or even more important than the turkey to most people.

How hard can it be?

Maybe some input would be helpful.....

Ok- hubbie "suggests" that it should be traditional and I think I found the one!  Someone posted the original Betty Crocker Bread Stuffing recipe on Food.com and then I found it on the Betty Crocker website.  I think I'll use Sami's Bakery's sourdough millet-flax bread, add some sliced mushrooms and moisten with chicken broth the stuffing that will go in the oven (not the one stuffed into the turkey).

Ok- check!  stuffing handled.

November 17th, 10 days til turkey time

Popped into Trader Joe's this morning filled with a little bit of trepidation as I think today is the day I will BUY THE TURKEY!

There they are- all snuggled in tightly next to each other.  More importantly there is Freddie, my fav TJ helper.  Fielded my many questions like the pro that he is: What size for 17 people?(20 lbs is good especially since you said father-in-law is bringing a ham);  Are you sure a fresh turkey can be in the fridge this long? (yes, the use-by date is Dec. 1st); How is that possible? (TJ's packaging and the birds are brined to help preserve them longer); Brined? (a soak in salt solution makes lean meat like turkey juicier and flavorful); Where to store it in fridge for maximum coldness? (bottom shelf in the back is the coldest area of a refrigerator).

Turkey bought!  Thank you Freddie!

November 18th, 9 days til turkey day

Still in avoidance of how to cook the big bird, I think I'll spend some time on the perfect wines to pair with my perfect turkey (optimism is the foundation of courage!).

I'm a big fan of Pinot Noirs for most Thanksgiving foods and especially the turkey.  Sunset Magazine agrees with me and I love their article on the whys of choosing pinots and other wines (chardonnay is not on the list).

Had to check Food and Wine and found a keeper of recommendations, all under $15!  Considering the long guest list this year I could use some affordable but good wines.

I think a wine buying trip is now in order with a couple wine tastings prior to next Thursday; have to make sure there are no losers in the bunch!

November 19th, 8 days til turkey day

This is it.  I have to figure out how to cook my turkey and what to season it with.  Mom out of the country until Tuesday so can't have her advise yet and I am leaving for west coast this Friday.  Today is the day and gonna get it done!

I am glad I swiped a copy of Trader Joe's Fearless Flyer which has this handy dandy Turkey Roasting Chart:


Does it get anymore self-explanatory for this highly visual foodie?  

I'll also reference TJ's Turkey Roasting Guide, because Yes!  I want to "Become a Roastmaster in 7 Steps". Plus it's just my kind of humor- "Chop half a package each of fresh Sage, Rosemary & Thyme (Parsley is vacationing at Scarborough Faire)"- ba! ha! ha!!!  I just found my Turkey Day Bible! 

I like the simplicity of the herbed butter recipe in said Roasting Guide, but I also like Bon Appetit's Roast Turkey with Sausage-Apple Stuffing and Pan Gravy recipe, mainly so I can make a giblet pan gravy from scratch.  Surprisingly, Bon Appetit's roast turkey ingredients are almost identical to Trader Joe's.  Let's just say traditional is traditional and not to be messed with.

There is, however, a Food and Wine recipe, Apricot-Glazed Turkey with Fresh Herb Gravy, that appeals to my sweet-savory tendencies.  I can get my "herb fix" in the gravy; sounds like the best of both worlds to me!

Decisions!  Decisions!  Traditional? or a bit of a twist?  Hmmm....that is the question (although can I really go wrong with either one?).

Whew!  I am feeling much better about hosting Thanksgiving for 17 people and my fear is almost gone. It might just be because I AM PREPARED!  On that note, one last cyber-reference and I'll sleep well next Wednesday night: 10 To-Dos Before Thanksgiving.  

I mean you can't be too prepared, right?













No comments:

Post a Comment