Blog

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Move Over Pumpkin Pie! There May Be Some New Desserts At The Table This Year!


Pumpkin Cake with Caramel-Cream Cheese Frosting
I am intimidated by all things baking and tend to gravitate toward very easy recipes that I do not need to roll out, crimp, use a pastry bag or spend all day making.  There are times, however, when I wish I was an accomplished baker and Thanksgiving would be one of those times.

I'll largely stay in my comfort zone for this post but will provide some links of desserts I can only dream of making.  Hopefully many of you are more experienced in this area or, more importantly, more adventuresome than me with rolling pins and ganaches.

With Thanksgiving less then 2 weeks away I have had a tweet from Food and Wine Magazine favorited and on my mind to test: Pumpkin Tiramisu.  I know, I know, fall obsession pumpkin paired with Italian decadent tiramisu...how could I NOT make this.  Look at it!

Pumpkin Tiramisu
Here is the link to Pumpkin Tiramisu.  I am going to make it tonight, as the lady fingers need to soak in the expresso overnight.  If you have an all adult Thanksgiving guest list, how about subbing the espresso with an espresso liqueur (try the Italian Illyquore).  I will report back as to its deliciousness but I have a feeling this will be gracing my Thanksgiving feast....and pumpkin pie?  what's that?

Another twist to traditional pies are crumbles and crisps which highlight perfectly fall's best fruits; apples, pears and cranberries.  The Whole Meal's library has recipes for both: Ginger Pear Crisp and Apple Cranberry Crisp.  Make one or both to either replace a traditional pie or alongside as an alternative. And don't forget the vanilla ice cream!
Ginger Pear Crisp

There are so many great sites to find luscious dessert inspiration, but I have a few favorites depending on what I want as my final outcome.  Let's tackle them in this order: pure decadence and way out of my league sweet miracles to tweak a favorite to a healthier version.

Chocolate Truffle Layer Cake
I have a crush on Food and Wine Magazine; I stalk their Twitter feed, subscribe to their magazine, and check out their online site on a regular basis for always cool and interesting food experiences. Their Pumpkin Cake with Caramel-Cream Cheese Frosting, Chocolate Truffle Layer Cake, and Frozen Maple Mousse Pie with Candied Cranberries are what dreams are made of when you envision your perfectly showcased dessert table.  Eye candy and taste bud tantalizer for sure!

Pumpkin Roll
Came across Pinch My Salt blog and all I can say is Yum! and Drool! to this 2013 post on alternatives to pies.  Pumpkin Souffles with Maple Pumpkin Ice Cream, Pumpkin Latte Caramel Flan, and Pumpkin Roll are just a few of the out-of-my-league but makes-me-happy-to-think-about seasonal desserts.

Fine Cooking nailed it when they said "To some, Thanksgiving is just one big excuse to eat pie" (and one pie-lover shall remain nameless- ha!).  They cover it all so pick and choose although I found the Chocolate Espresso Pecan Pie particularly tempting.

Pear Cornmeal Cake with Rosemary Simple Syrup
I love this 20-something year old's site as she makes food fun and covers it all.  Kita of Pass the Sushi is a true foodie but an accessible and friendly one; i.e. you will actually want to make her desserts and realize you can.  Do not be fooled, however, as they are pretty impressive in the simplicity and pairing of ingredients.  Wow your family and friends with humbleness.   Her Pear Cornmeal Cake with Rosemary Simple Syrup,  Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Bars (I actually have all these ingredients in my pantry now!)  and Irish Apple Cake with Boozy Custard are perfect examples.  Good luck deciding which one to make!

(No Bake) Cinnamon Swirl Cheesecake
Have you all discovered Chocolate Covered Kate?  Her photos are great and her recipes even better if your aim is to find a healthier alternative to classic desserts.  I usually find inspiration here for everyday treats and dinner party wows.  For Thanksgiving I like this (No Bake) Cinnamon Swirl Cheesecake and her Healthy Pumpkin Pie if your aim is to have a great dessert without the guilt.

Are you all jazzed up to include one or more of these amazing alternatives to pumpkin pie?  I know I am!  The hardest part will be wittling down your list, but just 4 weeks later you'll be able to bake away again for your December holiday celebrations.   Happy baking and happy Thanksgiving! May your table be blessed with family and friends, good food and better traditions.



No comments:

Post a Comment