Blog

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Dinner and a Book- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley



Are any of you in a book club or thinking of starting one?  I love my monthly book club as it inspires me to read an entire book cover to cover (I've always been an avid reader but life has really gotten in the way and reading seemed to drop off until I joined my neighborhood book club). I also get together with interesting and funny women who I may not have met otherwise, and believe it or not, it is not all about the book, rather the food and wine!

So I thought I would start a new blog series on book clubs and matching your menu to the theme of the book.  I hosted our book club last night and our October read, Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley was a lot of fun for me to stay in theme. So if you want a classic novel that's well written, short, thought provoking and easy to match food to here is what I did:

I love all things Halloween so it was a great excuse to "dress the part" as Bride of Frankenstein.  It's not a requirement but some book clubs have the members dress in theme.  I don't think it necessary, but I could not resist as the hostess with Halloween only one day away:)

Staying in Character
I won't be a spoiler and give away anything about the book, but I will say the only food references were nuts and berries.  Nuts made their appearance as appetizers (I love Trader Joe's spiced nuts and the hits last night were Thai Lime Chili Cashews, Roasted Rosemary Marcona Almonds and Sweet and Spicy Pecans) and the berries were served fresh with whipped cream for dessert.


Most of the book takes place in Switzerland so Swiss Cheese Fondue made its way to the appetizer table.  Served in a fondue pot with one day old cubed bread stayed true to Swiss eating.

Here is the recipe I used:


1 large garlic clove, sliced in half (leave 1 half whole and 1 half minced)
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon lemon juice
 8 ounces Emmentaler cheese, shredded
 12 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot
 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
 1 loaf of French bread, cubed (preferably 1 day old)

Heat fondue pot to medium-low.  Rub interior with cut garlic clove half, disgarding it when done).  Pour the white wine and lemon juice in to the pot.  Add in minced garlic.  Stir in the shredded cheeses a handful at a time, stirring constantly until all the cheeses are melted and the sauce is smooth.  Whisk together cornstarch, nutmeg and vinegar; stir into the cheese.  Continue to heat while stirring.  Keep fondue warm over low heat.  Serve with bread cubes.

Swiss Fondue
Some other classic Swiss foods I served were grilled sausages, sauerkraut and a pasta salad called Teigwaren.  Last but not least, couldn't forget Swiss chocolates:)

Here is the link to the pasta salad recipe: Swiss Teigwaren Pasta Salad

It was fun playing off Mel Brook's hilarious movie Young Frankenstein.  "Abbey Normal's" brain showed up as the centerpiece (tinted with a red food coloring and glue paste and housed in a trifle bowl) and the grilled sausages were labeled as "freshly dead" (poor Marty Feldman!).
Abbey Normal Centerpiece

I've already volunteered to host next October and I get to pick the book....Dracula anyone?



                                         
                                         










No comments:

Post a Comment